“And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be.” Ge. 15:5
I believe God has made me for a great purpose. I knew it the moment I received Christ as Savior. I believe that every Christian has a transcendent purpose. We are supposed to live lives that are bigger than ourselves. But discovering that purpose is the trick isn’t it? I don’t know about you but God has never come down to me the way He came to Abram. Yet that doesn’t mean He hasn’t revealed His purpose to me. He has just chosen a different way, a way which involves me intentionally seeking Him out. Here are Pastor J’s seven steps to discovering God’s purpose for your life:
1. Realize it’s God’s purpose not yours: You don’t get to make the call on what you want to do with the rest of forever. You have surrendered your life that means you have to let God direct.
2. Realize Prayer is your primary means of communication and discovery: Ask God to reveal His purposes. Spend some time listening. What crosses your mind as you wait in silence before God? Thoughts that go beyond your next meal or the current movie listing might just be from God. Consider them.
3. Realize you are going to enjoy your God-given purpose: You are equipped with the necessary tools and temperament to accomplish God’s purpose. You will not hate God’s job for you.
4. Realize God will provide you with the opportunity: God knows we often need a signed invitation. So be looking for the open doors of ministry set before you. Try joining; At worst you are going to discover what God’s plan is not by committing short-term to something.
5. Realize you don’t have to totally sell out to the first work that comes along: Sometimes to find God’s purpose you have to try things that are not His purpose for the sake of clarification. I taught a Royal Rangers scouting program a couple of seasons. Each season was gloriously fruit-free except for the fact that I learned what not to do.
6. Realize God’s purpose is going to be too big: You can’t do it without God’s help.
7. When you find God’s purpose it will be great and terrible: I love the job God has given me to do. It came complete with a set of difficulties to navigate. Your God-purpose will be the same.
So what step are you on?
I think I’m all up in the middle of all of them. haha! God bless you, Pastor J, as you help us with this look at purpose. I need this!
The word intentional has been a daily utterance from God since early Spring. I sense we will need intentionality of purpose in 2012
These are good steps Pastor J. I have been on step 2 for some time now. Thank you God, for revealing your next step to me. My steps seem to go right along with your steps, Pastor J, that is step 3 & 4. I can’t wait to see what He has in store for me.
Neither can I but in His timing I know it will be awesome Deb!
Thanks for sharing, Pastor J
“You don’t get to make the call on what you want to do with the rest of forever.”
Why do I feel that it doesn’t matter what step I get to, I fall back to 1?
It is a constant rehearsal isn’t it? 😉
The Lord bless you in His purposes for you, my brother. 🙂 For me the Lord is continually clarifying His purpose for me and Hope is at its center, hope for everyone trapped in the middle and beyond.
God is always about the business of clarifying! I have found that just as soon as I think I understand, He takes me to a sharper image! 🙂