1. What do you think are the three most important God bargains ever made? You can discuss it with the people next to you.
2. Name five of the Bible books we have discussed so far?
3. Which of the stories from the Bible do you remember the best? Why?
Tonight we are talking about what really matters in ____________. Paul wrote 2 letters in which he discussed this subject. _________________ and _________________.
“I pray that your love for each other will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in your knowledge and understanding. For I want you to understand what really matters, so that you may live pure and blameless lives until Christ returns.” Phil 1: 9,10
Paul says we need to understand what really ______________ if we are going to be pure and blameless.
People today are having trouble living for _____________ because they are paying attention to things that don’t really _____________ and are forgetting about things the do __________________.
In Your groups”
1. “Some are preaching out of jealousy and rivalry. But others preach about Christ with pure motives.. They preach because they love me, for they know the Lord brought me here to defend the Good News. Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me. Those others do not have pure motives as they preach about Christ. They preach with selfish ambition, not sincerely, intending to make my chains more painful to me. But (that doesn’t matter) whether or not their motives are pure, the fact remains that the message about Christ is being preached, so I rejoice. And I will continue to rejoice.” Phil 1: 15-18 NLT
What in this passage doesn’t matter? What does?
2. Paul says “I could have confidence in myself if anyone could. If others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more! For I was circumcised when I was eight days old, having been born into a pure-blooded Jewish family that is a branch of the tribe of Benjamin. So I am a real Jew if there ever was one! What’s more, I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. And zealous? Yes, in fact, I harshly persecuted the church. And I obeyed the Jewish law so carefully that I was never accused of any fault. I once thought all these things were so very important, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done.” Phil. 3:4-7
What kinds of things don’t matter in these verses? What does?
3. Paul says “No, dear brothers and sisters, I am still not all I should be, [fn] but I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I strain to reach the end of the race and receive the prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us up to heaven. [fn]” Phil 3:13,14
What things don’t matter here? What does?
Now come together in the large group.
In Philippians and _______________ Paul tells us not only things that don’t matter but things that do.
“Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel” Phil. 1:27
Paul said we should live ___________ of the gospel by standing firm in what the ____________ says and standing __________.
“Whatever happens, dear brothers and sisters, [fn] may the Lord give you joy rejoice. I never get tired of telling you this. I am doing this for your own good.
We are to ______________ in the Lord. By keeping our minds and attention on what God is doing.
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, let me say one more thing as I close this letter. Fix your thoughts on what is true and honorable and right. Think about things that are pure and lovely and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. ” Phil 4: 6-8
What matters is having an attitude that ____________ God and acting on that attitude.
” Sow a thought reap an attitude. Sow an attitude reap an action. Sow an action reap a habit. Sow a habit reap a lifestyle.”
“And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to live in obedience to him Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all he has done.” Col. 2:6,7
Paul tells us in Colossians what matters is making Christ the _______________ of our lives by constantly _____________ and learning from an _____________ him.
How is your attitude towards Christ?