I have a minister friend whose dad recently suffered a debilitating stroke. Her mom died suddenly the next week all this mere days before the Christmas holiday. In the midst of these trials she writes:
Recently someone told me: “God doesn’t give us more than we can handle”. I’ve been thinking about that and I can’t find it in scripture … What I do find is that over and over God brings humans to the end of themselves so that they have nowhere to go but to Him.
The Bible does say “throw all your cares (worries, fears, anxiety, problems) onto Him (God) because He cares for you.” and “In this world you will have trouble but don’t be afraid I (Jesus) have overcome the world.” and “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him. and “He will never leave us or forsake us” and “He is with us to the end”. Rev. Deb Meppelink Kerr
I’ve been thinking about these words in light of our Scripture passages today. I doubt David thought he was equal to the troubles that faced him in I Samuel 29 and 30.
Maybe God does give us more than we can handle so that we will have to turn to Him.
Here’s what I see in today’s chapters:
I Samuel chapter 29 sermon topics/ titles:
1. When God Sows Trouble: I Samuel 29:1
2. Your Reputation Will Proceed You: I Samuel 29: 3-11
3. Your Past Will Touch Your Future: I Samuel 29:3-11
I Samuel chapter 30 sermon topics/titles:
1. The Overflow Of Another’s Disobedience: I Samuel 30 : 1-2
2. Weeping Your Way To Bitterness: I Samuel 30:3-6
3. Leading By Following: I Samuel 30:6-9
Now tell me what you see! 🙂
Thank you for sharing your friend’s letter. I’m sure it , along with your chapter charting, is going to bless many. God bless you!
Thanks Deb! May God bless you today!
“The Overflow Of Another’s Disobedience” and “Leading By Following” these are quite good, Pastor J. Here’s what I saw in these chapters.
1 Samuel 29
1. His reputation precedes him. 1 Sam 29:3-5
2. Have you mistaken your adversary as trustworthy? 1 Sam 29:6
3. Not every battle is yours to fight. 1 Sam 29:9-11
1 Samuel 30
1. Find your strength in and through Him. 1 Sam 30:6
2. The moment you realize His plan is bigger and greater. 1 Sam 30:8-20
3. Remembering those who helped in the midst of your journey.1 Sam 30:26-31
Oh Deb I like so many of these! I think my favorite though is “Have you mistaken your adversary as trustworthy?”