With so many new readers I thought an explanation of the chapter charts might be necessary. Chapter charting is a devotional exercise that is part meditation/ part brainstorming. Every week I take four chapters of Scripture (we are charting the entire Bible in consecutive order).
1.I read the chapters.
2.I note what comes to mind as I read and jot down three of my “first thoughts”about the chapter in bullet or title form. For instance, last week as I read Judges Chapter 10:11 (God’s response to the Israeli pleas for mercy) I began to hear the song “I Will Survive” playing in my head. So I came up with the sermon title “When God Sings Like Gloria Gaynor”.
The point of the exercise is not to come up with incredible sermons. It is sort of like a word association game. You read the Bible and write the first thing that comes to mind. All kinds of interesting questions come from those “first thoughts”. The chapter charts have sparked many prayer conversations between me and the Heavenly Father. Come on play the game and see what happens!
Here’s What I see in today’s chapters:
Judges chapter 14 sermon topics/titles:
1. God uses every opportunity: Judges 14: 1-4
2. Breaking the Vow: Judges 14:1-20
3. Giving In To Outward Pressure: Judges 14: 15-20
Judges chapter 15 sermon topics/titles:
1. A Man Scorned: Judges 15:1-5
2. The Recylcing of Revenge: Judges 15:1-12
3. Whiny Rambo: Judges 15:13-20
Now tell me what you see! 🙂
“Whiny Rambo” Pastor J you are so creative. Here’s what I saw in these chapters.
1. I said, Get me what I want, now! Judges 14:1-3
2. The Power Within. Judges 14:5-9
3. Where is your loyality? Judges 14:17
1. The ugliness of revenge. Judges 15:3-7
2. His power is limitless. Judges 15:14
3. His mighty plans. Judges 15:20
Doesn’t that first thought just hit the nail on the head? Sometimes we can act so spoiled.